Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Watch Out Calvin Klein

Have I possibly changed my last poopy diaper? It really sounds too good to be true. So I'm not going to say it. I hate to even think it. Although, I have to admit it is bitter sweet. Okay, way more sweet than bitter.

The following is more for journaling purposes. No need to read on if you don't need the details of potty training...if you know what I mean.

Spring break I decided to give it a real shot. We have been talking about it and getting him used to the idea for a while. And when naked after a bath, before getting a diaper on, if he had to go he would come to me in a panic saying either he needed to go in the toilet or, "I need a diaper! I need a diaper! I need a diaper!" Which I took as a good thing.

Day one of spring break. Started the day with no diaper, no underwear, shirt only (I felt like the underwear would only confuse him in thinking he had something there to "catch" whatever was coming). He did great, 100%. I was afraid about #2 though. Hadn't cleared that hurdle yet. Later in the afternoon Morgan said, "Beck, did you have an accident? It stinks!" Ugh! Not what I wanted to hear. Beck denied the whole thing. As I was making my way down the hall dreading the clean up I hear, "Hey Mom! Beck pooped in his toilet!" Apparently Beck went in the bathroom, did his business, and was out. Didn't even tell anyone. Woo-hoo! Turns out the worst of it was teaching him about needing to wipe! I'll take that over the other, any day.

We made him a "Potty Chart". Every time he went he got a sticker. Every time he filled up a row (5 stickers) he got a toy. I figured the money I would have spent on diapers for the month could go to that fund. A truly worthy cause.

Of course there has been a few mishaps, but for the most part we are foot-loose and fancy free!

Really the hardest part about training Beck was not calling them panties.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Faye said...

What a monumental hurdle. No more diapers!! An overwhelming moment, to say the least.
I always hated to take a newly potty trained 3 year old to the store with me because when they say "I gotta go" you have to drop EVERYTHING, even if you're next in line to check out, and go! (But it's still better than the alternative.)
Congratulations!!

Beth said...

Yay Beck!!! Wow - all before 3 years old? I'm impressed!!!